Do you have trouble getting out of bed in the morning? Do you hit snooze over and over again hoping that you’ll be “ready” the next time your alarm goes off? Do you sometimes allow yourself to snooze for 30 minutes? An hour? Two hours? Yikes! There’s got to be a better way!
I used to be a chronic snoozer. I’d hit snooze 3 times only to realize that 30 minutes had passed, I’d have to skip my morning workout, and my entire “plan” for the day was shot. Yep, it happened every day.
Finally I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and I set out to make a change. Little did I know that I was about master the arts of an Alarm Clock Ninja.
How do you outsmart an alarm clock? How do you finally wake up on time? To become an Alarm Clock Ninja, you must master these coveted traits:
- Stealth – Are your snoozing slaps quiet & quick?
- Accuracy – Are you snoozes short & precise?
- Unagi – Are you aware of the dangers of snoozing?
Foolproof Tricks to Get Out of Bed:
Do you share a room with another person? Must your snoozing slaps be quiet & quick? This is a common problem in the snoozing world. Too often we quickly slap the snooze button to prevent waking up our partner (or roommate). While this is polite, each snooze on the iPhone sets you back 9 minutes of precious productivity. Are you prepared for this setback each morning?
Here’s how to overcome this snoozing snafu:
- If you sleep alone: Move your alarm clock to the other side of the room. This will force you to get out of bed to shut it off and hopefully keep you from going back to bed.
- If you sleep with a partner (or have a phobia of moving your phone across the room): Set two alarm clocks. If you want to wake up next to a happy spouse, then I highly suggest sparing them of that dreaded decision to move your alarm clock across the room. Instead, set two alarm clock about 3 minutes apart. The first alarm clock will be placed next to you and allow you to achieve stealth mastery. The second alarm clock (which will go off approximately 3 minutes later) will be placed across the room. When the first alarm sounds, it’s a countdown to get out of bed and shut off the second alarm before it sounds and wakes your partner. I don’t know about your relationship, but we value uninterrupted sleep in our house!
Do you wake up on time? Do you have a deadline in your head regarding the last possible second you can hit snooze until you’ve screwed up your day? How do you determine that “now” is the time to finally get up and get moving?
Adopt these infamous Alarm Clock Ninja skills:
- If you enjoy uninterrupted sleep: Determine the last possible second you need to wake up in order for your day to go according to plan. Now, set the alarm clock to that time and enjoy your uninterrupted sleep.
- If you love to hit snooze: Determine the last possible second you need to wake up in order for your day to go according to plan. Now, set 4 alarms— 6 minutes before the final time to wake up, 4 minutes before, 2 minutes before, and the actual time to wake up. When you hit snooze, your body has NO idea if you snoozed for 2 minutes or 20 minutes so you might as well utilize that knowledge to get your butt out of bed faster in the morning. Bye bye 9 minute snooze on the iPhone. That sh*t is whack. [P.S. THIS IS MY ULTIMATE NINJA TRICK]
Are you prepared to wake up in the morning? Do you know what needs to get done every morning? Do you know WHY you need to wake up at the time that you do? Answering these questions will allow you to finally achieve Alarm Clock Ninja mastery.
To achieve unagi, ask yourself these 2 questions:
- Why do I need to wake up at this time? Whether it’s an early morning workout or beating the rush hour traffic, knowing the purpose for waking up will stimulate you to get out of bed and get moving.
- Am I prepared to wake up? Have you made your morning routine as simple as possible? Is your breakfast ready to go? Are your clothes laid out? Making mornings simple allows you to effortlessly move through the motions while you’re still half asleep.
And finally, the #1 method to achieve Alarm Clock Ninja Mastery
- When the alarm clock sounds, tell yourself outloud, “You have two choices. You can either hit snooze and go back to la la land OR you can wake up and make your dreams come true. It’s time to decide. It’s time to get up.” This works (almost) every time.
When in doubt, check out this video for some early morning inspiration!
Are you ready to become an Alarm Clock Ninja? Which of these tactics is your favorite way to wake up? Do you have one that we missed? I’d love to hear it in the comments below!