What is clean eating and why should you care?
Clean eating is simple. Clean eating means eating foods that are “clean” from preservatives, chemicals, additives, artificial sweeteners, white sugars and flours, etc. Clean eating means different things to different people, but basically it means that you are eating foods in their most natural state.
Eating healthy is a HUGE part in anyone’s weight loss journey. No matter how hard you exercise, there is NOTHING you can do to work off a bad diet. If you are consuming garbage, then you will feel like garbage. It’s that simple. Have you ever wondered how some foods can stay “fresh” on the shelves for months, if not, years? That’s a little scary, right? It’s because they are FILLED with preservatives and chemicals to prevent bacteria growth and rotting. Imagine the negative effects those preservative have on your body and your brain… trust me, it’s bad!
Eating clean is a great way to not only lose weight, but also to live a healthier life filled with energy, focus, and optimal health. For example, after returning home from my first European backpacking adventure, I lost 9 pounds in less than 2 months by switching to an 90% clean diet. I’d love to say that I was 100%, but let’s be honest, some treats always manage to sneak in. If you don’t believe me, try it out! I promise you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Clean eating means…
You will be eating whole foods in their natural state. You will focus on eating unprocessed foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. You may consume nuts, seeds, and healthy fats in small quantities (due to their high calorie content), and be sure to limit yourself to minimally processed dairy products such as low fat plain Greek Yogurt.
Clean eating means you will NOT…
You will NOT be eating highly processed foods, white flours, white sugars, chemicals, preservatives, foods with added sugars, artificial sweeteners, or foods with ingredients that you can’t pronounce. If you can’t say it, you can’t eat it.
Did you know?
When you participate in clean eating, you are essentially allowing your body to reset itself by eliminating unhealthy highly processed foods, chemicals, added sugars, and best of all, bad habits. Did you know that many processed foods are filled with chemicals that make you crave even more processed foods? How crazy is that?
How can you see MAXIMUM results?
- Jump on board our next 21 Day Challenge Group! Our challenge group combines clean eating and exercise to deliver FAST results! Get notified of the next start date here! Don’t want to exercise? No worries, you can do JUST the diet portion and still see great results. My favorite clean eating “diet” that combines the right foods AND the right portions is called Portion Fix. The results are awesome! The plan even includes recipes, dining out guidelines, and modifications for dietary restrictions such as dairy-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, etc.
- Start each day with a glass of warm lemon water. There are SO many benefits to drinking warm lemon each morning such as detoxifying your body, reducing cravings, immune system support, and weight loss! Find out all the details here.
- Eliminate (or greatly decrease) your caffeine intake. Caffeine is a highly addictive substance and one of the most widely abused drugs in the world. If you can’t live without your morning coffee, try to limit yourself to just one cup (black or with a natural sweetener such as stevia) or switch to green tea which has outstanding cleansing properties and weight loss claims.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily! Set small attainable goals for yourself in order to achieve this amount. Aim to drink one water bottle (16 ounces) by 10 am, another by lunchtime (1pm), another before you leave work (5pm), and finally the last one while you are at home before bedtime (10pm). Increasing your water intake is important to properly flush your body of unwanted toxins.
- Eat 5-6 small meals each day roughly 2.5-3 hours apart. Preplan your day so that you know exactly when you should be eating and how much. For example, 7:30am breakfast, 10am midmorning snack, 12:30pm lunch, 3:30pm afternoon snack, 6:30pm dinner, 8:30 small evening snack. Each person is unique so work out a schedule that is best for you and your needs 🙂
- Set an alarm for each meal/snack. This is a great way to rid yourself of mindlessly snacking throughout the day. Set your alarm every 2.5 hours and stick to your schedule! If you feel the need to mindlessly snack, drink water and remind yourself that you are fully capable of waiting the hour or so until your next meal/snack. This includes late night snacking!
- Get an accountability partner! Find someone who you trust and respect to help you in moments of weakness. Explain to them your goals and ask them if they will support you via phone (or in person) whenever you feel like giving up. Change isn’t easy and a support system is vital for success. Having an accountability partner doesn’t make you weak – on the contrary – it makes you stronger! Members of our challenge groups share personal experiences, motivation, meal plans, recipes, and so much more! Get notified about upcoming challenges here.
- Finally, and most importantly, eat clean! Click here to get your copy of the Clean Eating Cheat Sheet!
If you are really interested in turning up the intensity of your weight loss efforts, limit yourself to 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of starches/carbs each day (to be eaten before 5pm). A serving of fruit can be an apple, banana, 2 small fruits such as peaches or plums, or 1 cup of berries. A serving of starches/carbs can be 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup quinoa, 2/3 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 piece of Ezekiel toast, 1 small sweet potato, etc. When you limit the amount of fruit sugars or starches/carbs you consume, you allow you body to metabolize stored fat in place of the fruit sugars or starches/carbs (aka fat burning). Please do NOT cut fruits, starches or carbohydrates out of your diet entirely, as they are a very important energy source for the body and needed for sustained energy and nutrients.
Looking for Clean Eating Recipes?
Click here to explore! Two of the fastest (and easiest) recipes are the Chili For Dummies and Insanely Easy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps. Also, you can’t miss the Quick & Easy Guacamole <– this is better than Chipotle!
And most importantly, don’t forget to print your copy of the Clean Eating Cheat Sheet by clicking here.
p.s. Have a question? Email me at email@example.com for more information about meal plans, at home fitness programs, and online health & fitness coaching!
Disclaimer: The information on this page was obtained through research, personal/client experiences, and collaboration with other health/fitness professionals. By following this plan, you assume full responsibility for your health and wellbeing. If you suffer from any medical conditions, please consult your doctor prior to making any changes in your dietary program.