I make this heart healthy, soul soothing, deliciously detoxifying vegetable soup whenever I want to wash away all the sludge inside of me, to detoxify from the inside out, and to start over fresh.
There’s something different about this soup that I just can’t put my finger on. Unlike most broth-based soups, this one is oddly filling (in a good way of course). Filled with fiber and all natural ingredients, this soup sets the tone for a balance and recovery. It provides numerous nutrients and roughage to get your insides moving, while still maintaining a wonderfully light disposition.
It’s super simple and often referred to as my “Sunday Soup” because just about everything in my fridge on Sunday get tossed into the pot. This soup is also a perfect way to sneak in a few extra servings of vegetables into your everyday meals.
Heart Healthy, Soul Soothing, Deliciously Detoxifying Vegetable Soup
- 1 large (farmer’s market-sized) carrot, chopped (1 cup chopped)
- ½ medium onion, chopped (½ cup chopped)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (1 cup chopped) (a stalk is one stick, not the bunch)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (fresh or pre-minced)
- 1 (32 ounce) box vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne (adjust according to taste)
- Salt & Pepper (adjust according to taste)
- ½ head of green cabbage, chopped (chopped amount varies and that’s okay)
- 1 medium zucchini/squash, chopped (1 cup chopped)
- Fill a large soup pot with enough vegetable broth just to cover the base of the pot. Place pot on stove over medium heat and allow broth to heat.
- Once heated, add carrots, onions, celery, and garlic to the pot and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth, tomato paste, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the pot. Mix well and then add chopped cabbage. Note that there will be a lot of cabbage compared to soup. That is okay and expected. The cabbage will wilt as the soup cooks. Bring soup to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add zucchini/squash to the soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes (until softened).
- Feel free to add in additional veggies and/or noodles. I love making this soup on Sunday and using whatever vegetables I have left in my refrigerator. The only thing you need to remember is that there are “MUST HAVES” and “WHATEVERS”.
- MUST HAVES: 1 (32 ounce box) of vegetable broth, ½ head green cabbage, tomato paste, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper, salt, pepper
- WHATEVERS: carrots, onions, celery, green peppers, zucchini, squash, beans (white or red), noodles, etc.