Don’t think you have what it takes to make these ultra fancy summer rolls? Guess again! Prepare to amaze yourself with this foolproof tutorial.
Every time I thought about making these in the past, I somehow convinced myself out of trying something new and defaulted back to the Insanely Easy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps. I know, shame on me for not wanting to try something new, but if you’ve tried the Insanely Easy Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, then you’d know exactly why I can’t seem to pry myself away from a fabulous five minute dinner.
Either way, back to the summer rolls…
We used cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, avocado, and cilantro for our filling, but the possibilities are endless! Consider adding red peppers, cabbage (green or purple), sprouts, scallions, basil, mint, ginger, or even bean threads (thin angel hair like noodles which are pictured with our ingredients but not added because we got way too excited and decided not to cook them). Also, we tossed together two quick and easy dipping sauces, the Ginger Soy Sauce and Peanut Dipping Sauce.
The only “fancy” ingredient that we used was the rice paper, and surprisingly, it was super easy to find at Whole Foods Market!
Now that you know the basics, let’s get cooking!
Sexy Summer Rolls
- 10 sheets rice paper
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed & julienned
- 4 carrots, peeled & julienned
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Prepare the noodle filling (bean threads). If you are making the noodle filling (bean threads), begin boiling water and cook according to package. Note: the bean threads should take about 10 minutes to cook.
- Prepare the vegetable filling. Julienne cucumber and carrots (i.e., cut into thin matchstick sized pieces). Shred lettuce, slice avocado, and chop cilantro.
- Prepare the rice papers. Fill a large bowl or baking pan with warm (almost hot) water. You will need to be able to put your fingertips in the water so do not make it too hot. Remove 10 sheet of rice paper from the package and set aside.
- Combine ingredients / create a summer roll building station. For each summer roll, you will need to soak the rice paper in the warm water for about 10 seconds (until it softens). Remove the rice paper from the warm water and place on tea towel (per packaging directions), however I used a glass cutting board and it worked fine. Unfold any corners that accidentally folded over and be sure to work semi quickly because as the rice paper dries it will become very sticky and tear more easily. Place the cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, and avocado in the middle of the rice paper (approx. 4-8 strips of cucumber, carrot and lettuce) (approx. 1 strip of avocado). Finally, sprinkle a few pieces of cilantro on top.
- Roll the summer rolls. Fold the left side of the rice paper over towards the middle. Fold the right side of the rice paper over towards the middle (refer to picture). Fold the bottom of the rice paper over the ingredients and GENTLY tuck around the filling and then continue rolling until the summer roll is all rolled up.
- Repeat for the rest!
- Rolls are best served immediately and can be served whole or sliced in half. The rolls can be stored in a sealed contained for approx. 1-2 days in the fridge. The sauces can be stored in a sealed container for at least one week a week in the fridge.
That wasn’t too difficult, right? In less than 20 minutes you can have an uber-chic, ultra fancy, sexy summer roll extravaganza (not to mention two totally tasty dipping sauces too). Perfect for lunches, dinners, snacks, appetizers… the sky’s the limit!
Tell me, what did you put inside your sexy summer rolls? I’d love to discover new and exciting creations!