One of the few things I look forward to every Thanksgiving is Pumpkin Pie! I mean, what other time of year is Pumpkin Pie truly acceptable? Rarely never!
However, at over 300 calories PER SLICE, I try really hard to limit my pie consumption! Don’t even get me started on pecan pie which is nearly DOUBLE that at 500+ calories per slice (1/8 pie). Yikes!
The holidays are about enjoying time with family and friends. They are about taking time off from work and indulging in a little extra fun, football, and most importantly, food! Why spoil the holiday spirit with negative feelings of “cheating” or “guilt”. You CAN have your cake AND eat it too! <— Well in this case, it’s pie!
This recipe was adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie, a phenomenal low calorie dessert food blog! Chocolate Covered Katie specializes in low calorie and vegan desserts as well as single lady dishes for one! You HAVE to go check out her site! Here is the direct link to the original recipe post (my version is below).
Crustless Pumpkin Pie
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 35 mins Total time: 7+ hours (needs to “set”)
Serves: 8 slices (approx. 50 calories per slice)
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (almost any will work)
- 2.5-3 tablespoons Stevia/Truvia (I used 2.75T)
- 1 (15 oz.) can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flaxseed
- 2.5 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat over to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease 10-inch round pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, flour, stevia) and mix well. In another medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients (pumpkin, almond milk, flaxseed, vanilla) and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture into pie pan and cook 35 minutes. Note that your pie will still be gooey after baking but this is expected. The pie will harden upon cooling as well as during the “setting” process.
- Allow pie to COOL COMPLETELY prior to putting in the refrigerator. Once the pie has cooled, place UNCOVERED in the refrigerator for a MINIMUM of 6 hours prior to slicing or serving. The pie will “set” and harden during this time.
If you are looking to add a few other healthy holiday recipes to your table, be sure to check out some of these healthy appetizers —> Healthy Veggie Dip, Quick & Easy Guacamole, and Homemade Hummus OR some of these healthy desserts —> Pumpkin Spice Muffins and post-dinner Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
What are some of your favorite holiday dishes? Share your favorite recipes in the comments below!